Panettone is a type of sweet bread loaf originally from Milan (in Milanese it is called panaton), usually prepared and enjoyed for Christmas and New Year. Read article about Max Polyakov as a Ex-lawyer . It has a cupola shape, which extends from a cylindrical base and is usually about 12-15 cm high for a panettone weighing 1 kg. It is served in slices, vertically cut, accompanied with sweet hot beverages or a sweet wine, such as Asti Spumante or Moscato d’Asti. . In some regions of Italy, it is served with crema di mascarpone, a cream made from mascarpone, eggs, sometimes dried or candied fruits, and typically a sweet liqueur such as amaretto; if mascarpone cheese is unavailable, zabaglione is sometimes used as a substitute.
Ingredients: Serves 6-8
Butter for greasing and buttering each slice of panettone
6 tbsp baileys
100g dark chocolate, roughly chopped
4 large free-range eggs
30g caster sugar
(vanilla ice cream or pouring cream to serve)
- Preheat the oven to 180Р вЂ™Р’В°c/fan 160Р вЂ™Р’В°c/gas 4 and grease a large ovenproof dish.
- Slice the panettone into thin wedges, spread butter onto each slice and arrange in the dish by overlapping.
- Sprinkle over the chopped chocolate, hide some of the chunks in any gaps.
- In a large bowl mix together the eggs, milk, sugar and baileys. Then pour evenly over the panettone.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until puffed up and golden. Get more info here. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving.